Time to plan your summer and invest in your future!
THE SUMMER EXPERIENCE
The 2018 BEST Academy Program® is now accepting application
Very Competitive Program - Apply Early
The B.E.S.T. Academy was founded by Dr. Dexter Frederick, an internist/pediatrician. It offers a four, two and one week intensive program, offered in partnership with Florida Hospital-Tampa, Florida Hospital-Zephyrhills, Florida Hospital-Carollwood, Florida Hospital-Pinellas, The University of South Florida AHEC, and USF Morsani College of Medicine. It is quite a unique experience for high school sophomores, juniors and seniors interested in a medical careers. Students engage in hands-on experiences in healthcare. Secondly, they participate in shadowing health professionals within a hospital setting. Lastly, they study the human body with all its intricate details. Students will spend time observing mentors in their day-to-day work environments, which includes a fast-paced clinical settings.
Student can participate in a four (4) week, two(2) week, or one(1) week full-time program where BEST participants are immersed into direct patient observation, shadow mentors in patient care settings, interact with a broad spectrum of health professionals/staff and attend daily skills/leadership development seminars.
Medical students of the University of South Florida (USF) Medical School will assist in workshops and give you advice on how to succeed!
Real hands-on medical skills practical workshops:
- Workshop 1: Anatomy of the Human Body
- Workshop 2: How to Scrub for Surgery
- Workshop 3: Hands Hygiene in a Clinical Setting
- Workshop 4: Heart Sounds, Oximetry and Heart Rate
- Workshop 5: Suturing Workshop How to Tie Surgical Knots and Suture Wounds
- You will learn how to maximize your memory be able to retain enormous amount of information with apparent ease.
- Connect and make friends for life with other young people from across the world who are also pursuing a career in medicine.
- Increase your chances of being successfully accepted and in a premedical course and later on in medical school, dental school, physical therapy school, physician assistant school, nursing school, pharmacy school and other professional programs
- Get information and guidance on a variety of medical/healthcare careers.
- Make perfectly sure that a career in medicine/healthcare is meant for you.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS AND HOW DO I QUALIFY
- Only students from the following counties may apply to this program: Bradenton, Hillsborough, Hernando, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarosota (Currently not taking any out of state applicants)
- There is a strong preference for students completing their sophomore year of high school. However, a few rising sophomores have been selected in past years. This acceptance of rising sophomores is dependent on the applicant pool for each year, their grades and upper level classes that they have done. The four week program is reserved for rising juniors and seniors only
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Demonstrate a serious interest in a medical or allied health career
- Be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
Participants will be selected on the basis of a personal statement, high school coursework and grade point average (GPA), teacher recommendations. and interview. Two recommendations are needed: one from a science teacher and one from your guidance counselor
BEST Academy tuition fees cover food, transportation to events, all included activities, scrubs, and student materials. The BEST Academy is not offered for high school credit, but you do get volunteer hours at selected sites. Multiple scholarships are available based on need.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
A complete application includes the following:
1. Online Application
2. Send link to teacher and guidance counselor for letter of recommendation:
3. Be available for an in person interview if requested
4. Be available for the whole 4 weeks, 2 weeks, or 1 week program
The deadline has been extended to March 30th, 2018 by 5 PM EST. Failure to submit all of the above prior to then voids review.
DATES AND LOCATION:
TAMPA TAMPA BEST ACADEMY
Florida Hospital Tampa/USF Morsani College of Medicine
2018 Four Week BEST /Tampa Florida Hospital Summer Academy
June 11th - July 6th)
(Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM)
ZEPHYRHILLS BEST SUMMER ACADEMY
Florida Hospital Zephyrhills.
2018 Two Week BEST / Zephyrhills Florida Hospital Summer Academy
(June 18th - June 29th)
(Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4:00 PM)
CARROLWOOD BEST SUMMER ACADEMY
Florida Hospital North
2018 One Week BEST / Carollwood Florida Hospital Summer Academy
(June 25th - June 29th)
(Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 5:00 PM)