Time to plan your summer and invest in your future!
THE SUMMER EXPERIENCE
The 2017 BEST Academy Program® is now accepting application
Very Competitive Program - Apply Early
The B.E.S.T. Academy was founded by Dr. Dexter Frederick, an internist/pediatrician. It is a four-week intensive program, offered in partnership with Florida Hospital-Tampa, The University of South Florida AHEC, and USF Morsani College of Medicine. It is quite a unique experience for high school sophomores, juniors and seniors interested in a medical careers. Students engage in hands-on experiences in healthcare. Secondly, they participate in shadowing health professionals at Florida Hospital. Lastly, they study the human body by working with human cadavers. Students will spend time observing mentors in their day-to-day work environments, which includes a fast-paced clinical and surgery settings. Since provider-patient interactions are considered confidential, each student is required to participate in confidentiality training and sign a confidentiality agreement. For students under 18, a parent’s or guardian’s signature on the confidentiality agreement is required.
The Brain Expansions Scholastic Training focuses on engaging middle and high school students in health care careers, while enhancing their academics using memory skills and brain based games such as chess. The program's primary goal is to ignite interest and provide exposure in the fields of science, technology and health. Student can participate in a four (4) week, 2 week, 1 week or 10 day full-time program where BEST participants are immersed into direct patient observation, shadow mentors in patient care settings, interact with a broad spectrum of health professionals/staff and attend daily skill/leadership development seminars.
Medical students of the University of South Florida (USF) Medical School will assist in workshops and give you advice on how to succeed!
Real hands-on medical skills practical workshops:
- Workshop 1: Hands Hygiene in a Clinical Setting
- Workshop 2: How to Scrub for Surgery
- Workshop 3: How to Draw Blood and set-up an IV Line
- Workshop 4: Heart Sounds, Oximetry and Heart Rate
- Workshop 5: Suturing Workshop How to Tie Surgical Knots and Suture Wounds
- Workshop 6: Airway management – using mannequins
- You will learn how to maximize your memory be able to retain enormous amount of information with apparent ease.
- Connect and make friends for life with other young people from across the world who are also pursuing a career in medicine.
- Increase your chances of being successfully accepted and in a premedical course and later on in medical school.
- Get information and guidance on a variety of medical/healthcare careers.
- Make perfectly sure that a career in medicine/healthcare is meant for you.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS AND HOW DO I QUALIFY
- Only students from the following counties may apply to this program: Bradenton, Hillsborough, Hernando, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarosota (Currently not taking any out of state applicants)
- There is a strong preference for students completing their sophomore year of high school. However, a few rising sophomores have been selected in past years. This acceptance of rising sophomores is dependent on the applicant pool for each year, their grades and upper level classes that they have done.
- Have a strong math and science GPA
- Demonstrate a serious interest in a medical or allied health career
- Be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
Participants will be selected on the basis of a personal statement, high school coursework and grade point average (GPA), SAT or PSAT scores (if available), teacher recommendations. and interview. Recommendations may come from teachers in any discipline; they need not come from science teachers.
Cost to attend Academy:
BEST Academy tuition fees cover food, transportation to events, all included activities, scrubs, and student materials. The BEST Academy is not offered for high school credit, but you do get volunteer hours at selected sites. Multiple scholarships are available based on need.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
A complete application includes the following:
1. Online Application
2. Submit Official High School Transcript in sealed envelope via US mail to: BEST Academy, 10006 Cross Creek, Box 406, Tampa, FL, 33647 - request the transcript today! No scanned copies or online versions will be accepted.
3. Two Letters of Recommendation, one recommendation coming from a science teacher and the other from a counselor. As you are completing the application you get to a screen where you insert your recommenders information, once you insert the info the system auto-generates an email for you to send to your recommenders' with a form they are to complete on your behalf which serves as the "letter of recommendation".
4. Be available for the whole 4 weeks, 2 weeks, 1 week program or 10 day program
The deadline is March 10th, 2017 bdy 5 PM CST. Failure to submit all of the above prior to then voids review.
DATES AND LOCATION:
TAMPA TAMPA BEST ACADEMY
Florida Hospital Tampa/USF Morsani College of Medicine
June 19th- July 14th, 2017 (Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 3:30 PM)
ZEPHYRHILLS BEST SUMMER ACADEMY
Florida Hospital Zephyrhills.
June 19th- June 30th, 2017 (Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4:00 PM)
NORTH PINELLAS BEST SUMMER ACADEMY
Florida Hospital North
June 26th- June 30th, 2017 (Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 5:00 PM)
MIDDLE SCHOOL PROGRAM
June 21st - July 6th (Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 3:30 PM)